Mexican Fiesta Rice Cups
These festive, snack-size bites are a great way to repurpose leftover Spanish rice and taco meat and they are so easy to make!
My daughter absolutely loves Spanish rice. Whenever we go to a Mexican restaurant, she wants none of the beans, just the rice … and she can eat a huge plate full of just rice, although she seriously loves some soft-shelled tacos with her rice.
Because I know how much she loves it, I’ve tried my hand at making Spanish rice several times over the years. … but I’ve never quite perfected the restaurant-style rice that she really loves. I recently tried again … and yes, I came pretty close this last time, but still, it wasn’t quite there. Daughter and I discussed it and I think I know just how to tweak that recipe to make it “just right”. To her credit, even thought it wasn’t yet the rice she craved, she made a good effort at eating the not-quite-perfect rice, but there was quite a bit left.
Sooo I needed to find a way to use my leftover imperfect rice and I thought of those broccoli rice cups I made ages ago. Those were SO good … why couldn’t I make a “taco” form of those? I mixed my imperfect leftover Spanish rice together with some leftover cowboy caviar and leftover taco meat and stirred in a bit of chopped zucchini to make some festive rice cups that celebrate all the flavors of the Southwest. I just adore these little rice cups for breakfast, for lunches, for snacks, for dinner, for appetizers … any time of day, these Tex-Mex bites are SO good!
- 2 cups leftover Spanish rice
- 1 cup cowboy caviar (recipe here ... or substitute 1/2 cup corn plus 1/2 cup black beans)
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup cooked taco meat
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- For the top: extra shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the Spanish rice, cowboy caviar, zucchini, taco meat, shredded cheese and eggs.
- Divide the mixture amongst the muffin spots, pressing down gently with a spoon to compact each cup (pressing down will help it all stick together better).
- Sprinkle each rice cup with a bit more shredded cheese. Bake at 350 F. for about 25 minutes or until the cheese on top is nicely melted and the rice on top starts to get a little crunchy.
- Let sit for a few minutes to cool slightly, then use a butter knife to gently lift the cups from the muffin tin. Enjoy them while they are warm.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container and reheat briefly (30 sec - 1 minute for a single cup) in the microwave.
For a gluten-free recipe, ensure your taco seasoning and Spanish rice is gluten-free.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.