Tropical Pineapple Mango Coleslaw
My friend describes this salad like this: it is a slaw like no slaw you’ve ever had before. It’s tropical, fruity, crunchy, with hints of orange, pineapple, mango, mint and cilantro and crunchy, salty roasted macadamias on top. I have made it my lunch on several occasions by topping with shrimp and a drizzle of Sriracha. It goes heavenly on fish or shrimp tacos too. I’ve served it alongside Huli Huli Chicken and Kalua pulled pork sandwiches.
You’ll have a lot of salad when you make this–enough to feed a crowd. It’s the perfect salad to take to a family gathering or potluck because just about everyone loves it, children and adults alike, and it’s mayonnaise free, so it can safely sit out for hours. It’s best made with fresh pineapple, but you can use canned pineapple in a pinch. I made it for our 4th of July gathering at my sister’s lake home and it was the salad that got eaten the most. I made it for my yoga friends and had plenty left for lunches for myself for several days. And then I made it for a luau party we had at Little Cellar Wine Company last night. It’s such a pleasant, summery, colorful salad. If you use a mix of purple and green cabbage, it becomes a rainbow slaw. So many colors, tastes and textures! It’s happiness in a bowl.
- 1/2 a head of cabbage, shredded (about 6 cups)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup fresh, ripe pineapple chunks
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled and chopped
- 1 15-oz. can of mandarin oranges, roughly chopped
- 1/2 of a red onion, chopped fine
- About 2 Tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- About 1 Tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup Hawaiian Huli Huli sauce (recipe here)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup roughly chopped roasted, salted macadamia nuts
- Mix all ingredients except the nuts and Huli Huli sauce in a large bowl.
- Drizzle the sauce over the salad and toss to mix.
- At serving time, top with chopped nuts. Garnish with fresh mint.
For a gluten free salad, use this dressing in place of the Huli Huli sauce: blend together 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 1/4 cup honey, a chunk of ginger, 1 Tablespoon prepared mustard, 1 Tablespoon tequila or lime juice, 2 cloves garlic.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.