Vietnamese Pulled Pork Salad
Adapted from Peachy Palate
I had a bit of BBQ pulled pork that I made for my young adult kids that was left after they were done enjoying their sandwiches. Once they’re done, they’re done. There’s no eating the leftovers, so I stashed the leftover pulled pork in a freezer-safe container in the freezer until I had time to make something with it. I totally enjoyed the peach pecan BBQ pulled pork salad I made first, and then almost simultaneously my friend gave me a head of cabbage from her garden and I stumbled across this recipe from Peachy Palate … plus I had some of my Thai-inspired peanut sauce in the fridge that I wanted to use, too. This seemed like the perfect opportunity!
It’s a surprisingly filling and very fulfilling salad. You may be able to, but I couldn’t finish it all in one go. I came home tonight with a bad case of the munchies. I was thinking of chowing down the potato chips I found in the cupboard, but trying hard to refrain. I looked in the fridge. What was there that would satisfy these dang munchies without a lot of calories? Luckily, I’d packaged up the rest of this salad in a container. I grabbed it and gobbled it down. Nom. Nom. Nom.
Once I had polished off all the leftover salad, I took note of my cravings and how my body was feeling and was pleased to note that the crazy craving had reduced and my body was singing inside. This is a salad that offers so many angles of satisfaction: lots of colors to please your eyes, a very pleasing bit of crunch, hearty meat, heady herbs, and roasted peanuts (or cashews) for extra crunch and that salt craving that inevitably hits … and (if you so desire) that little bite of spice that us pepper-heads (a.k.a. sinus sufferers) crave.
- About 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 of a small red or yellow bell pepper, sliced thin and cut into matchsticks (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced and chopped (about 1/2 - 2/3 cup)
- 1/2 - 1 cup leftover barbecued pulled pork (I used about 1/2 cup)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped mint
- 3 - 4 Tablespoons coconut cilantro lime curry sauce (recipe here) - add extra Sriracha for a spicier salad
- About 2 Tablespoons chopped peanuts or toasted cashews
- Extra fresh mint leaves and/or cilantro leaves, for garnish
- In a medium mixing bowl, toss together the salad ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over and toss.
- Put the salad on your plate and top with chopped peanuts or toasted cashews, then garnish with fresh mint and/or cilantro leaves. Enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
This recipe was shared at Simple Supper Tuesday , Tuesday’s Table, Wine’d Down Wednesday, Thursday Favorite Things, Gluten Free Friday, Foodie Friends Friday, What to Do Weekends, Weekend Re-Treat and Moonlight & Mason Jars.
Support this blog by starting your shopping here: