Zucchini Kale Fried Rice
Hurrah garden season is here! I am a garden beggar this year … the only plants I have growing in my little container garden are herbs and a single tomato plant. Oh, and there are two little sweet pepper plants that refuse to die from last year … and they are stubbornly making peppers, despite the fact that I stole dirt from their pots for the other plants. So I water them and let them grow and there will be a few little peppers from each of them.
I haven’t seen my parents for a month … I know they are overwhelmed with garden goodies. I’ll see them this weekend, but in the meantime I am blessed with several gardener friends! The zucchini I picked up in the break room at work, a “donation to the cause” from one of my workmates. I’m not even sure who brought them, but I was SO excited that I got one. The gorgeous kale was a gift from one of my yoga sisters. (Thanks, Kathy!)
I made this dish one evening when my son wanted Kid Fried Rice … but his sister wasn’t here to help him eat it, so I made half a batch of KFR for him and still had half the rice left. Enough for fried rice for ME! Yeah. I pulled out my borrowed garden treasures and made myself some kickass garden fried rice.
As you can maybe tell from the pictures, this fried rice is more about the fresh garden veggies than the rice. This is as it should be, in my book. Let that garden flavor SHINE! It’s low in carbs, high in protein (from the eggs) and full of vitamins, fiber, and deliciousness. When I heated it up for breakfast one day at work everyone was telling me how good it smelled and gazing at my bowl jealously. I smiled and protectively shuffled it to my desk to savor.
This fried rice looks beautiful, it smells delightful, it tastes fantastic … and yeah, it’s good for you too! Enjoy, my friends.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1/2 of a medium onion, peeled & chopped
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled & chopped
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 3 - 4 large kale leaves, chopped
- A splash of soy sauce
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice (or brown basmati rice)
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add 1/2 Tablespoon of the oil. Scramble the eggs, but take them out of the pan while they are still very wet. (This keeps the eggs moist--they will finish cooking when added to the rice.) Set aside.
- Rinse out the pan to clean off the eggs, then add the rest of the oil and heat over medium heat again until the pan is hot. Add the onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes until the onion is translucent, then add the carrot and zucchini and saute a few minutes more.
- Put the kale on top of the veggies and add a splash of soy sauce. Cover the pan for a minute or two, until the kale starts to wilt, then stir to mix the kale in with the other veggies. Add the rice and stir for a few minutes to "fry" it a bit and mix the rice in with the veggies.
- Remove from heat and add the eggs, chopping them up and stirring them into the rice. Serve hot, with more soy sauce if desired.
To make this recipe gluten free, use gluten free soy sauce.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.