Roasted Pepper & Asparagus Salad
with Chicken, Roasted Onions, Marinated Feta, & Avocado
Soft, crisp tender roasted veggies with crisp lettuce and juicy fresh tomatoes, along with creamy salty crumbled marinated feta, creamy avocado and warm comforting chicken. It’s a treat for the tastebuds and the eyes. Roasting some of the veggies adds an amazing texture differentiator and it’s even better if the veggies and chicken are warm when you add them to the salad–then you get some contrast of temperature as well that is delightful. When you dig into this gorgeous salad, you’ll feel like you are eating at an upscale restaurant. It’s that good. You can chop the veggies and pile them on top of the greens … but making it in stripes like this allows you to choose the flavors you want to combine in each bite.
I made a similar salad with leftover garlic feta asparagus and sauteed mushrooms last week and it was SO good, I decided I needed to remake it (mostly for myself, but also to share with you!) But as I pulled out my asparagus to make the salad, I just couldn’t bear to chop it up. I had saved all the longest, prettiest stalks for last and they wanted to stay long and lovely. So I roasted them whole, and I left the little sweet peppers whole too because they are so vibrant and colorful. Roasting the peppers and onions really brings out the sweetness and takes away the “bite” that onion sometimes has. Last week when I made it, it was a vegetarian salad. This time I added some of my leftover Harissa chicken–I’m thinking this salad would also be scrumptious with grilled salmon in place of the chicken.
- Several spears of asparagus
- 4 sweet mini peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- A couple slices of onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Red Robin Seasoning & freshly ground pepper
- Mixed spring greens and/or spinach and/or romaine
- 7 - 10 sweet cherry tomatoes, halved
- About 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped cooked chicken (optional ... I've made this salad both with and without the meat. This time, I used some of my Harissa Moroccan chicken. I think it would work well with cooked salmon or tuna in place of the chicken too.)
- 1/2 of a small, ripe avocado, chopped into chunks
- About 6 cubes of marinated feta (recipe here) or regular feta cheese, crumbled
- Sriracha Yogurt Ranch Salad Dressing (recipe here) ... or other dressing of choice
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Spray a small baking sheet with cooking spray and gently rub the asparagus and peppers with olive oil.
- Set the asparagus and peppers on the baking sheet and sprinkle the asparagus with the chopped garlic and onion, then sprinkle all with Red Robin Seasoning & freshly ground pepper. Set in the oven and let roast for about 15 - 20 minutes or until the asparagus is tender and bright green and the peppers are tender.
- While the veggies are roasting, prep the salad. Fill your salad plate with a nice bed of greens. Make a spot for the lovely asparagus spears down the middle. Warm the chicken (or salmon or tuna), if desired.
- Set the asparagus in the middle, make a stripe of chicken and a stripe of tomatoes on either side. Arrange the peppers on the salad and the avocado. Sprinkle with crumbled feta.
- Serve immediately with the dressing on the side.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
This recipe was shared at Freedom Friday with All my Bloggy Friends, Weekend Potluck, Munching Monday, Tuesday’s Table, Treasure Box Tuesday, Simple Supper Tuesday, The Wednesday Roundup, Wine’d Down Wednesday, Hearth and Soul Bloghop and Happiness is Homemade.
Support this blog by starting your shopping here: